11 Apr 2019

Xylitol and Peanut Butter

I have noticed a lot in the doggy forums and on the internet in general about Xylitol being added to peanut butter.

Well I had a good gander at ALL the ones in the UK and could only find one that has this in it so of course we can avoid. Even the imported ones don't have xylitol.

In the UK we have to have the ingredients labelled clearly but they can be sneaky on how they word it for us. So we have to look out for the name birch/beech tree I kid you not.

So I would always look at the labels. If in doubt choice an organic one as is just peanuts that is in it.

Xylitol is everywhere these days and we cant always avoid but it isn't toxic to us humans so we are fine, but out beloved dogs are not.

Xylitol is toxic to dogs even in small amounts as it impairs the dogs breathing and makes it difficult for them to stand or even walk. In rare cases it can cause liver damage and internal bleeding. Hence highlighting this so others can be kept abreast of any changes that can happen.

I like to be informed to pass this on to others an as far as now 14th August 2015 we don't have a lot to fear.

but please be aware and read the labels always.

If in doubt buy organic but still check the labels.

If you think your dog has eaten xylitol don't wait go straight to your vets.

Now let your dog have that nice treat.

updated 2019 

2 comments:

  1. This text is worth everyone’s attention. How can I find out more? Really great news!!! this information is well worth looking everyone. Good tips.
    _____________________________
    Houston Dog Trainers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm UK as stated in text. I went through the whole batch of peanut butters that I could find and check all ingredients. Yes it was time consuming but worth it as I do feed mine it as a treat or in treats.
    I think there is more kinds of PB in America so I would find a list and go shopping too check them ALL out.

    ReplyDelete